01 December 2007

27 Nov 2007 - Dr. Sanchez, Concussion Doctor

For the first time in this three-month-plus ordeal, I found someone in the medical industry who actually gave me a course of action with respect to addressing the source of my troubles. Dr. Sanchez works mainly with athletes to get them back to playing shape as quickly and safely as possible after concussions. His therapy is exercise-based - very similar to the one that Sally discovered online from the University of Buffalo.

Unfortunately, Dr. Sanchez said we can't work on the therapy until I'm done showing symptoms of the concussion - mainly the dizziness and headaches. However, he did outline a plan of attack. First thing I needed to do was take this thing called an ImPACT test, a computerized test of hand-eye-brain coordination, to get a baseline. Periodically, I'll retest and see how far along I've come. Once I hit a particular level (I don't know what that is) and the dizziness goes away, I can start exercising again.

Once I get to execrise, I may begin to feel useful again. At this point of the ordeal, by far the worst symptom of my Post Concussive Syndrome is having to watch my beloved wife Sally try to keep up with everything - job, housework, yardwork, James-and-Jon maintenance, groceries, and now Holiday crap - while I sit around uselessly. It's not unlike prison, really, except the food is better and my butthole is safe. Every extra day I have to sit like this raises the bar on The Worst Day Of My Life. Pretty wicked downward spiral, this.

Consequently, every day sooner I can get over this stage of PCS is one day closer to my contributing to a positive quality of life in this house. I'm no big flag-waver for Hope, when Hope is all I have to make myself worth a lukewarm damn, I need to remember to get on the bandwagon.

No comments: