03 December 2007

3 December 2007 - Tina, Results of the ImPACT Test and Memory/Speech Therapy

Even my good news sucks.

Results of the ImPACT test weren't particularly surprising or telling... my short-term recall is less than the average person's especially when wordless pictures are involved, and my reaction time is a little below average. The bad/good news came during the therapy session.

Tina asked me all kinds of easy questions like name different animals, drinks, words that start with the letter "d", so on and so on. Some I did well, some not so much. Then she gave the The Ultimate Test. She wrote twelve words on a sheet of paper, gave me three minutes to study them, then I had to write them down on a separate piece of paper straight from memory.

I immediately started grouping words together using silly mental pictures as a memory tool. I think the first three words were "Turtle" Hand" and "shovel", so in my mind, Cecil Turtle was playing in the sandbox with a hand shovel. I did a bunch of those, then when my three minutes were up, wrote all twelve words down in order.

Tina was stunned, and she said I'm functioning on too high a level for her to help. She's a toolmaster - she comes up with devices to help with memory like the goofy picture thing. I listed all the techniques I was using during our tests, and she basically said I already knew everything she could teach me.

Tools aren't my problem - I've got the tools. It's just getting into the woodshed is more of a chore than it needs to be. At least Tina was honest and didn't try to milk me for a few more sessions.

Thursday morning will be Steph the Head Shaker. If she can fix my equilibrium, I'll be more than half way home.

No comments: