02 November 2007

Frustrated and More Frustrated

I got tired of this "matter of time" business... it just doesn't make sense. There should be some kind of test. If the post-concussion effect is brought on by a brain chemical imbalance, logic would dictate that's testable. Since no physical damage appeared on the pictures, I don't know what else it could be but chemical.

So I sought a redirect / second opinion from my Primary Care Physician. I contacted her nurse at around 11am yesterday. On my drive home, the nurse called back and said that my PCP insists that there is no testing that can solve anything and she's got me seeing the best people available for my condition.

The best people for my condition talk to me for twenty minutes once every five weeks, issue me band-aid drugs and send me off no better or better-informed that when I left. Nothing I have experienced from this months-long saga disabuses me of my long-held distrust of the American for-profit medical system: If treating the symptoms is more profitable than finding a cure, treat the symptoms until the patient dies or gets better on his/her own.

I have no court-of-law proof of this, just 25+ years of studying the for-profit business model, huge-dollar EOBs for nothing more than headache treatments, three months-plus of my productive life flushed... not to mention a sister dead from cancer at age 43. Too bad she didn't get the infinitely more insidious and deadly plague that was Chronic Limp-Dick - she'd have four or five freshly-invented cures in the last ten years from which to choose.

All the research and fundraising by The American LimpDick Society, Relay for Wood, and March of Dongs really paid off!

(Note: This stopped being about me, didn't it?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carl -

Who in the hell is your insurer - Midieval Mutual??? I volunteer to be first in line to draw, quarter and roast the chestnuts of these bastards. Just as you said, welcome to the wonderful world of managed care.......

Your buddy,
Farmington